I was reading an old journal entry where I had listed all the things "on my plate", and I haven't listed what I do for a few years, so here goes:
1. Wife. We are the best of friends and have rediscovered that fact especially since Joseph has gone to school and we are alone in the house. I don't like being alone, so it's nice to have someone to be with and talk with. Dad has done an incredible job providing for our family. I'm glad I haven't had to worry about that. He has also set a great example for everyone in our family. We've found that the teaching doesn't ever end.
2. Mother. I love being a mother, and I especially love having adult children right now. I love their wisdom, and their dedication to their own families.
3. Mother-in-law. Just another gem I have discovered for this time of life. I love the girls my boys have married. I feel like they are my own. I also love and respect Maries husband for the same reasons I love and respect my sons. Does anyone have the right to be this happy with their family?
4. Grandma. Now that is TRULY one of the greatest blessings for this period. I love each one! Currently we have 17 grandchildren and each one is unique and brings great joy to us. I love that I don't have primary responsibility for medical decisions or care and that I can just offer plenty of love and acceptance.
5. JSMB. I play the piano in the lobby of the Joseph Smith Building each Thursday from 12-2. It is a great joy to me to play for people to listen. I have had the privilege to talk to people from all over the world and recieve many compliments each week on how much they enjoy the music. Because of that I have also had the opportunity to play between General Conference sessions, at First Night 2009, and at some other general church meetings.
6. Bountiful Temple ordinance worker. Just this year I have joined my husband as an ordinance worker. It is great to be involved with the "whole" of the endowment, from baptism to sealing. We get up pretty blasted early, but I guess that's OK. I did give up playing the organ on a regular basis to do this.
7. I practice with the Violin Ladies every Monday morning. They are wonderful ladies and I love the music we make. We are playing at some hospitals in the valley in May, and also a wedding reception in March.
8. I am the Stake Music and Cultural Arts person. I just got done leading a YSA choir for stake conference, and also getting a musical number for the stake Relief Society function this Saturday. I took the opportunity to train the bishops on appropriate music and it went well. I think I'm off the hook until May now.
9. Every Wednesday I go to the Church Office Building and work with Diane Bastian of the Church Music Department. I love helping her out. I answer the phone, emails, file, and basically do whatever she needs me to do. We just finished the Church Music Festival and for the first time, she was able to go to the dress rehearsal and I took care of the details of the dinner beforehand. She was very appreciative of the help.
10. I'm the ward choir director, a calling I have held on and off for about 30 years. I'm also a visiting teacher and all around substitute.
11. Mat and I are preparing to go on a mission, so that has involved Mat retiring, changing insurances, having some health issues taken care of before that happens, getting shots, and a million other details that keep coming up each day. We do think we will be ready to submit our papers at the end of March.
That's it for right now. The list this year seems shorter but seems to involve more volunteering and service than other years. I can't complain. It truly is a wonderful life.
No comments:
Post a Comment